More and more appliances are adding smart features. ENERGY STAR certified refrigerators, dishwashers, clothes washers, dryers and room air conditioners use less energy – those that are connected offer consumers new functionality that can enable added convenience and even more savings. They also come with future-oriented “smart grid” capabilities that could support a more reliable, less polluting electric grid.
Here are some cool things you can do with smart appliances:
- Get an alert if your refrigerator door is open
- Look inside of your refrigerator without opening the door and wasting energy each time a family member wants a snack.
- Schedule your laundry or dishwasher to operate when your electricity rates are lowest
- Have your dryer adjust cycle time automatically with incorporated sensors to help you reduce your dryer’s energy use. This feature ensures that your dryer will automatically shut off when clothes are dry
- Turn your room air conditioner off remotely from your smart phone if you forget before you leave home