Whether decorating for the holidays or creating a warm atmosphere in your home, choose ENERGY STAR certified decorative light strings. Many ENERGY STAR light strings feature LED technology, which are exceptionally energy efficient when producing individual colors.
ENERGY STAR Certified Decorative Light Strings:
- Are available in a variety of colors, shapes and lengths.
- Provide the latest features and functionalities such as dimming and color shifting.
- Are available for indoor and outdoor use. Products labeled for outdoor use are subjected to weathering tests.
What is an LED?
- Light emitting diodes, or LEDs, are small light sources that are illuminated by the movement of electrons through a semiconductor material.
- For example, the amount of electricity consumed by just one 7-watt incandescent bulb could power 140 LEDs — enough to light two 24-foot (7.3-meter) strings.
Be sure to look for the ENERGY STAR when shopping for decorative light strings
Current Specification Effective Date: January 2011
ENERGY STAR certified decorative light strings consume 75% less energy than conventional incandescent lights strands.
Products must meet stringent efficiency (no more than 0.2W per bulb) and quality (3-year warranty, protection against over-voltage, maintained light output) requirements.
In addition, certified light strings must meet product packaging requirements to ensure consumers have a clear understanding of products when they look to purchase light strings.
If you’re buying new light strings to decorate your home, choose ones that have earned the ENERGY STAR to save energy and help protect the environment. A decorative light string that has earned the ENERGY STAR uses 75 percent less energy than an incandescent light string.
SAVE EVEN MORE
- Celebrate all night. Certified LED light strings can last up to 10 times longer than traditional incandescent strands, meaning fewer light string replacements.
- Safety first. ENERGY STAR LED light strings are cool to the touch, reducing the risk of fire.
If all decorative light strings sold in the United States were ENERGY STAR certified, the energy cost savings would grow to about $850 million each year and 9.9 billion pounds of annual greenhouse gas emission would be prevented, equivalent to the emissions from 940,000 vehicles.