What else should I look for when buying ENERGY STAR light bulbs?
Choosing between the various types of ENERGY STAR certified light bulbs and deciding where to use them can be daunting. Here you’ll find guidance on choosing the right bulbs for your fixtures and locating a convenient retailer.
For an interactive learning experience, check out the Choose a Light Guide.
- Light Bulb Purchasing Guide (PDF, 652 KB)
- Learn about LED Lighting
- ENERGY STAR certified bulbs use less power (watts) than incandescent bulbs.
- Learn more about brightness!
- ENERGY STAR certified bulbs are available in a variety of shades.
- Learn more about color and mood!
- Not all ENERGY STAR certified bulbs are dimmable.
- If you need a dimmable bulb, please check the packaging before you make your purchase.
Be sure to look for the ENERGY STAR when shopping for light bulbs
Current Specification Effective Date: January 2, 2017
ENERGY STAR Lamps Program Requirements V2.1 (PDF, 686 KB)
Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) originally qualified for the ENERGY STAR label in 1999.
LED light bulbs originally qualified for the ENERGY STAR label in 2009.
EPA is kicking off a year-long effort to educate people about the benefits of energy-efficient, ENERGY STAR certified LED lighting, and we want you to “Light the Moment” with us! Join us in switching out 300 million inefficient bulbs to ENERGY STAR certified LED bulbs. Together, we could save about $1.5 billion dollars in annual energy bills and prevent 17 billion pounds of annual greenhouse gas emissions.
The ask is simple: Make the most of every life moment by lighting them with ENERGY STAR certified LED bulbs. Only LED bulbs that have earned the ENERGY STAR label are independently certified to deliver the quality and performance you deserve. With ENERGY STAR you get:
- Quality: Whatever the moment, there’s an ENERGY STAR certified LED light perfect for maximizing the impact.
- Light Distribution: ENERGY STAR LED bulbs light the small, intimate moments AND the big, busy ones.
- Long-life: Lasting over 13 years, an ENERGY STAR certified LED bulb will be there for all the moments it witnesses.
- Environmental Protection: Protecting the planet for future generations so we can continue to experience special moments for years to come.
So, light the moment with ENERGY STAR and experience life to its fullest.