Purchasing efficient products reduces energy costs without compromising quality for corporations, institutions, and governments. Take the steps outlined below to learn more about ENERGY STAR certified products and specify them in your purchasing policies and contracts.
Step 1: Modify your Procurement Language
Specify ENERGY STAR products quickly and easily. All products that earn the ENERGY STAR are certified by independent organizations to ensure that they deliver the energy savings promised by the label. The following single clause in a contract is all that is needed:
The Vendor Must:
Provide products that earn the ENERGY STAR and meet the ENERGY STAR specifications for energy efficiency. The vendor is encouraged to visit energystar.gov for complete product specifications and updated lists of qualifying products.
- Federal agencies should use the FAR clause 52.223-15 Energy Efficiency in Energy-Consuming Products in all applicable contracts and solicitations.
Step 2: Educate your Vendors and Personnel
Institutions have a wide range of purchasing options. Therefore, organizations should educate purchasing agents, upper management, and key stakeholders about their ENERGY STAR purchasing requirements, savings benefits, and available mechanisms for making these purchases. Use this template to help your organization reach out to these stakeholders.
Step 3: Choose ENERGY STAR Products to Purchase
Find ENERGY STAR products for office equipment, electronics, lighting, heating and cooling, appliances, building materials, and more.
Need commercial food service equipment? Enter your zip code to find dealers and distributors in your area.
- View DOE FEMP purchasing specifications used by Federal Procurement Officials.
Step 4: Estimate your Potential Savings
Use these Excel-based calculators to estimate how much money and energy you can save purchasing ENERGY STAR certified products. For questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Appliances Calculator (EXCEL, 532 KB)
- Air Purifiers (Cleaners)
- Clothes Washers
- Compact Refrigerators
Commercial Food Service Equipment
- Commercial Kitchen Equipment Calculator (EXCEL, 611 KB)
- Commercial Dishwashers
- Commercial Freezers
- Commercial Refrigerators
- Commercial Fryers
- Commercial Griddles
- Commercial Hot Food Holding Cabinets
- Commercial Ice Machines
- Commercial Ovens
- Commercial Steam Cookers
Consumer Electronics Products
- Consumer Electronics Calculator (EXCEL, 482 KB)
Heating & Cooling Products
The ENERGY STAR HVAC calculators for are currently being updated.
- Light Fixture & Ceiling Fan Calculator (EXCEL, 570.71 KB)
- Light Bulb Calculator (EXCEL, 691 KB)
- Residential Light Fixtures
Office Equipment Products
- Office Equipment Calculator (EXCEL, 550 KB)
- Displays (Computer Monitors, Professional Signage)
- Imaging Equipment (Copiers, Fax Machines, Multifunction Devices, Printers, Scanners)
- VoIP Phones
Pool Pump Calculator (EXCEL, 464 KB)
Products with Suspended Specifications
More Help from ENERGY STAR
- Read case studies about organizations that have implemented successful purchasing programs.
- Contact ENERGY STAR directly at email@example.com and we can:
- Help you estimate the savings potential of an ENERGY STAR purchasing program or the realized savings of an existing program.
- Review your purchasing policy and help you draft language that specifies ENERGY STAR purchasing.
- Assist in the development of communications that explain the benefits of a change in purchasing policy to upper management, purchasing agents, and employees.