Embedded Data Center Case Studies
Localized data centers, server rooms, and server closets, known collectively as “embedded data centers” and represent over half of the data center energy use due to their presence in almost every commercial building. Below are some useful resources for those interested in improving efficiency of their embedded data centers.
- Google’s Green Data Centers: Network POP Case Study (PDF, 4 KB)
- Arc Productions' Presentation: Reducing energy usage by 56% with application-aware power management (PDF, 2.6 MB).
EPA Case Studies
EPA has compiled case studies that shows how organizations have substantially reduced costs with a variety of data center energy efficiency measures.
- Multiple Data Center Efficiency Measures Saved $1.7 Million at BNY Mellon's Northern Pennsylvania Processing Center (PDF, 600 KB)
- eBay Data Center Retrofits: the Costs and Benefits of Ultrasonic Humidification and Variable Speed Drives (PDF, 578 KB)
- New UPS Systems Save Energy in Exelon Data Center
- Managing Airflow Pays Off for QTS
- Kaiser Permanente Data Centers: Continuous and Innovative Energy Efficiency Improvements (PDF, 79KB)
- Target “Expects More and Pays Less for its Data Centers (PDF, 609 KB)
Return on Investment (ROI) Case Studies
- The Green Grid’s Case Study: The ROI Of Cooling System Energy Efficiency Upgrades (PDF, 2 MB) examines installing variable speed fans, adding baffles and blanking panels, repositioning temperature/humidity sensors, and adjusting temperature setpoints with an ROI of less than 2 years.
- The Green Grid’s Chiller System Optimization: Project Impacts on Data Center Sustainability (PDF, 1.1 MB) examines the ROI of variable speed drives installed on 6 chiller pumps resulting in reduced pump speeds.
- Google’s Green Data Centers: Network POP Case Study (PDF, 3.6 MB) examines a small data center’s efforts at efficiency with optimized air vent tiles, temperature and humidity adjustments, cold aisle containment, and CRAC air return extensions that had an ROI of less than one year.