Effective Date: October 30, 2015
On Mode Power Requirements:
PON_MAX = 78.5 x tanh(0.0005 x (A - 140) + 0.038) + 14
- PON_MAX is the maximum allowable On Mode Power consumption in watts;
- A is the viewable screen area of the product in square inches, calculated by multiplying the viewable image width by the viewable image height; and
- tanh is the hyperbolic tangent function.
Standby-Passive Mode Power Requirements:
ENERGY STAR Version 7.0 certified products must consume no more than 0.5 watts while in Standby-Passive Mode. Additionally, the lowest consuming Standby-Passive Mode must be the default Standby-Passive Mode for the product as shipped to consumers.
Standby-Active, Low Mode Power Requirements:
Products that can connect to the Internet via Ethernet or Wi-Fi must meet an additional requirement in Standby mode. To be certified under ENERGY STAR Version 7.0, the product must consume no more than 3.0 watts while in Standby-Active, Low Mode. In this mode, the product is able to respond to requests sent over the Internet including switching to On Mode from Standby-Active, Low Mode.
The peak luminance of the product in the "Home Configuration" (or default, as-shipped) picture setting, shall be greater than or equal to 65% of the peak luminance of the "Retail Configuration" (or the brightest-selectable) preset picture setting, unless the brightest-selectable luminance is greater than or equal to 350 candelas per square meter (cd/m2).
Products with Automatic Brightness Control (ABC):
To account for the power savings achieved through automatic brightness control in response to varying ambient light conditions, products with this feature activated by default when shipped to the end user have On Mode power calculated as follows:
PON_ABC = (0.25 x P100) + (0.25 x P35) + (0.25 x P12) + (0.25 x P3)
- PON is the calculated On Mode power with ABC enabled by default; and
- P100, P35, P12, and P3 are the measured On Mode power values with the product tested at 100, 35, 12, and 3 lux (SI unit of illuminance) respectively.
Products Using an External Power Supply (EPS):
To be certified to ENERGY STAR Version 7.0, the EPS must meet the level VI performance requirements under the International Efficiency Marking Protocol and include the level VI marking. Additional information on the Marking Protocol is available here.