Consider switching to a more efficient gas or wood pellet stove or buy a new EPA-certified wood stove that is 50 percent more efficient than older models.
- Get a list of more efficient EPA-certified wood stoves.
- Learn the benefits of a new wood stove in EPA’s brochure, Your Old Wood Stove’s Dirty Little Secrets.
- Increase heating efficiency while protecting your home and health. View two videos: Split, Stack, Cover and Store and Wet Wood is a Waste.
- Please see this article on buying a clean burning wood stove.
- Consider a catalytic stove to get higher efficiency and lower emissions.
For more information EPA certified wood stoves, as well as EPA qualified fireplaces and outdoor wood boilers, visit EPA’s Burnwise program.