Scott County Schools
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
Scott County Schools (SCS) is a school district in Kentucky. SCS leveraged ENERGY STAR® to engage stakeholders, district officials, custodians, teachers, and students as part of its monthly Energy Reduction Award program. Key 2022 accomplishments include:
- Achieving recognition as an ENERGY STAR Certification Nation Member by earning the ENERGY STAR for 12 schools in 2022.
- Increasing the district average ENERGY STAR score to 87.
- Communicating ENERGY STAR and energy efficiency goals to all community stakeholders through newspaper articles and in-person presentations from the energy manager to students and School Board members.
- Engaging students in energy savings teams that compete monthly for an energy banner and additional recognition.
- Installing efficient LED lighting and geothermal heat pumps in school retrofits and all new buildings.
- Saving more than $11.4 million in energy costs since 2010, equivalent to the funds required to employ 294 teachers for one year.