ENERGY STAR certified servers come in the several form factors – blade, multi-node, rack-mounted, and pedestal – and offer the following energy saving features:
- Efficient power supplies that limit power conversion losses and generate less waste heat, which reduces the need for excess air conditioning in the datacenter facility where they are housed;
- Improved power quality which provides building-wide energy efficiency benefits;
- Limits on idle power draw for one and two processor rack mounted or pedestal servers.
- Disclosure of Server Efficiency Rating Tool (SERT) results to accommodate comparison of server efficiency under different usage scenarios.
- Capabilities to measure real time power use, processor utilization, and air temperature, which improves manageability and lowers total cost of ownership;
- Advanced power management features and efficient components to save energy across various operating states, including idle; and