ENERGY STAR Certified Fixtures:
- Use about 70-90% less energy and produce about 70-90% less heat than traditional models using incandescent light bulbs.
- Distribute light more efficiently and effectively — with custom design around the efficient light source to get the best performance.
- Come in hundreds of decorative styles including portable fixtures — such as table, desk and floor lamps — and hard-wired options such as front porch, dining room, kitchen ceiling and under-cabinet, hallway ceiling and wall, bathroom vanity fixtures, and more
- Deliver convenient features such as dimming on some indoor models and automatic daylight shut-off and motion sensors on outdoor models.
- Last 10-25 times longer and come with a manufacturer-back warranty of at least three years.
Current Specification Effective Date: December 2012
Light fixtures originally qualified for the ENERGY STAR label in 1997 with the introduction of LED lighting in September 2008.
ENERGY STAR certified lighting offers energy-saving options for both in and outside the home, such as recessed lighting and outdoor porch lights. An ENERGY STAR fixture is built to last for many years. Ask your local retailer for ENERGY STAR certified lighting.
What do I need to know before I buy a light fixture?
- Look for the ENERGY STAR label for good quality, a minimum two-year warranty and long life (light sources last 10-25 times longer).
- Make sure you have a compatible dimmer switch if you want to dim your lights. Fixture manufacturers can provide a list of approved dimmers switches.
- Make sure you like the color of the light; there are lots of options, check out the Color and Mood page.
DIY Lighting with
Lighting Made Easy
Ask the Expert
Your Guide to
STAR LED Lighting
Start Saving With My ENERGY STAR
My ENERGY STAR makes it easy to browse energy saving tips, and to see how your actions can make a difference. Here are a few tips to get you started.
Choose ENERGY STAR light fixturesExpand
Use efficient porch lightingExpand
Choose ENERGY STAR certified light bulbs (replace 1 bulb)Expand