Earning the ENERGY STAR certification means the product meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the US Environmental Protection Agency. Lighting products that have earned the ENERGY STAR label deliver exceptional features, while using less energy. Saving energy helps you save money on utility bills and protects the environment by reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
ENERGY STAR Certified Light Bulbs:
- Use about 70-90% less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs
- Last at least 15 times longer and saves about $80 in electricity costs over its lifetime
- Meet strict quality and efficiency standards that are tested by accredited labs and certified by a third party
- Produce about 70% less heat, so it’s safer to operate and can cut energy costs associated with home cooling
Please see the ENERGY STAR light bulb saving calculator (EXCEL, 691 KB) to estimate your saving.
Current Specification Effective Date:
- Lamps V2.0 January 2017 (PDF, 686 KB)
Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) originally qualified for the ENERGY STAR label in 1999.
LED light bulbs originally qualified for the ENERGY STAR label in 2009.
What else should I look for when buying ENERGY STAR light bulbs?
Choosing between the various types of ENERGY STAR certified light bulbs and deciding where to use them can be daunting. Here you’ll find guidance on choosing the right bulbs for your fixtures and locating a convenient retailer.
For an interactive learning experience, check out the Choose a Light Guide.
- ENERGY STAR certified bulbs use less power (watts) than incandescent bulbs.
- Learn more about brightness!
- ENERGY STAR certified bulbs are available in a variety of shades.
- Learn more about color and mood!
- Not all ENERGY STAR certified bulbs are dimmable.
- If you need a dimmable bulb, please check the packaging before you make your purchase.
EPA is kicking off a year-long effort to educate people about the benefits of energy-efficient, ENERGY STAR certified LED lighting, and we want you to “Light the Moment” with us! Join us in switching out 300 million inefficient bulbs to ENERGY STAR certified LED bulbs. Together, we could save about $1.5 billion dollars in annual energy bills and prevent 17 billion pounds of annual greenhouse gas emissions.
The ask is simple: Make the most of every life moment by lighting them with ENERGY STAR certified LED bulbs. Only LED bulbs that have earned the ENERGY STAR label are independently certified to deliver the quality and performance you deserve. With ENERGY STAR you get:
- Quality: Whatever the moment, there’s an ENERGY STAR certified LED light perfect for maximizing the impact.
- Light Distribution: ENERGY STAR LED bulbs light the small, intimate moments AND the big, busy ones.
- Long-life: Lasting over 12 years, an ENERGY STAR certified LED bulb will be there for all the moments it witnesses.
- Environmental Protection: Protecting the planet for future generations so we can continue to experience special moments for years to come.
So, light the moment with ENERGY STAR and experience life to its fullest.
Start Saving With My ENERGY STAR
My ENERGY STAR makes it easy to browse energy saving tips, and to see how your actions can make a difference. Here are a few tips to get you started.
Choose ENERGY STAR certified light bulbs (Replace 1 bulb)Expand
Purchase ENERGY STAR certified decorative light stringsExpand
Choose ENERGY STAR certified light bulbs for one room (Replace 5 bulbs)Expand