Earning the ENERGY STAR means products meet strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Lighting products that have earned the ENERGY STAR label deliver exceptional features, while using less energy. Saving energy helps you save money on utility bills and protect the climate by reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
ENERGY STAR Certified Decorative Light Strings:
- Use 75% less energy than conventional incandescent lights strings and come with a manufacturer-back warranty of at least three years.
- Do not have moving parts, filaments or glass, so they are much more durable and shock-resistant than other light strings.
- Are independently tested to meet strict lifetime and electrical requirements.
Current Specification Effective Date: January 2011
ENERGY STAR certified decorative light strings consume 75% less energy than conventional incandescent lights strands.
Products must meet stringent efficiency (no more than 0.2W per bulb) and quality (3-year warranty, protection against over-voltage, maintained light output) requirements.
In addition, certified light strings must meet product packaging requirements to ensure consumers have a clear understanding of products when they look to purchase light strings.
Whether decorating for the holidays or creating a warm atmosphere in your home, choose ENERGY STAR certified decorative light strings. Many ENERGY STAR light strings feature LED technology, which are exceptionally energy efficient when producing individual colors.
Look for the ENERGY STAR Certified Decorative Light String that’s right for your home. Certified products:
- Are available in a variety of colors, shapes and lengths.
- Provide the latest features and functionalities such as dimming and color shifting.
- Are available for indoor and outdoor use. Products labeled for outdoor use are subjected to weathering tests.
What is an LED?
- Light emitting diodes, or LEDs, are small light sources that are illuminated by the movement of electrons through a semiconductor material.
If you’re buying new light strings to decorate your home this holiday season, choose ENERGY STAR certified LED light strings to save energy and to help protect the environment—that’s a gift our planet will really appreciate. In fact, a decorative light string that has earned the ENERGY STAR uses 75 percent less energy than an incandescent light string.
SAVE EVEN MORE
- Celebrate all night. Certified LED light strings can last up to 10 times longer than traditional incandescent strands, meaning fewer light string replacements.
- Safety first. ENERGY STAR LED light strings are cool to the touch, reducing the risk of fire.
If all decorative light strings sold in the United States were ENERGY STAR certified, the energy cost savings would grow to about $850 million each year and 9.9 billion pounds of annual greenhouse gas emission would be prevented, equivalent to the emissions from 940,000 vehicles.
Start Saving With My ENERGY STAR
My ENERGY STAR makes it easy to browse energy saving tips, and to see how your actions can make a difference. Here are a few tips to get you started.
Choose ENERGY STAR light fixturesExpand
Use efficient porch lightingExpand
Choose ENERGY STAR certified light bulbs (Replace 1 bulb)Expand