Holiday Gift Guide
If big gifts are part of your holiday plan, remember to check out electric vehicles (EVs) and an ENERGY STAR certified charger. EVs are the future of driving and you (or your loved one) can save an average of $800 to $1,000 a year on fuel and an average of $4,600 on maintenance over the lifetime of the vehicle. An ENERGY STAR certified AC charger completes the gift!
- Energy savings. EV chargers are typically in standby mode (i.e., not actively charging a vehicle) for about 85% of the time. ENERGY STAR certified EV chargers provide the same functionality as non-certified products but use 40% less energy in standby mode, reducing their impact on the environment.
- Safety first. To ensure your charger meets safety standards, look for one that has earned the ENERGY STAR label. All ENERGY STAR certified chargers are tested for safety by a nationally recognized testing laboratory.
- Choose the right charger:
- For short range driving and plug in hybrid cars: If you only drive less than 40 miles per day, or if you have a plug-in hybrid car, you can use a charger that plugs into a standard wall outlet (120 volt), also called a Level 1 EV Charger.
- For longer range driving and for fully electric cars: If you drive more than 40 miles per day, and you have a fully electric car, then you need a 240-volt charger, also called a Level 2 charger.
Save even more
ENERGY STAR certified EV chargers can be eligible for a federal tax credit up to 30%. Save even more by looking for state and local utility incentives too!