A programmable thermostat helps make it easy for you to save by offering four pre-programmed settings to regulate your home's temperature in both summer and winter - when you are home, asleep, or away.
- The pre-programmed settings that come with programmable thermostats are intended to deliver savings without sacrificing comfort. Depending on your family's schedule, you can see significant savings by sticking with those settings or adjust them as appropriate for your family.
- The key is to establish a program that automatically reduces heating and cooling in your home when you don't need as much. In order to save energy, consider a temperature set-up of 7 degrees in summer and a setback of 8 degrees in winter when your home is unoccupied for long periods of time and a 4 degree adjustment when occupants are asleep.
Illustrative Example of Programmable Thermostat Setpoint Times & Temperatures
Most programmable thermostats come with a pre-programmed energy saving setting. Here is an example:
|Setting||Time||Setpoint Temperature (Heat)||Setpoint Temperature (Cool)|
|Wake||6:00 a.m.||70° F||78° F|
|Day||8:00 a.m.||Setback at least 8° F||Setup at least 7° F|
|Evening||6:00 p.m.||70° F||78° F|
|Sleep||10:00 p.m.||Setback at least 8° F||Setup at least 4° F|
Simple Steps to Energy Savings with Programmable Thermostats
Achieve significant energy and money savings that are possible through the proper use of your programmable thermostat. Learn how to:
- Have your thermostat properly installed - Here's what you need to know about proper and safe installation of your programmable thermostat, as well as when you should call a certified HVAC contractor to handle the installation for you.
- Properly set and use your thermostat - Follow these guidelines to achieve savings.
- Save with your manual thermostat - If you choose to keep your manual thermostat, here are recommendations to help you save, too.
What else should I look for when buying a programmable thermostat?
Choose the right programmable thermostat - There are three types of programmable thermostats designed to best fit your daily schedule. Learn more about the energy saving features that each model offers.