ENERGY STAR certified steam cookers offer shorter cook times, higher production rates, and reduced heat loss due to better insulation and more efficient steam delivery systems.
In addition to saving energy, ENERGY STAR certified steam cookers also save water - 90 percent or more when compared with standard steam cooker models (using on average 3 gallons of water per hour for ENERGY STAR certified steam cookers versus 40 gallons of water per hour for standard models).
- Up to 60 percent more energy efficient and up to 90 percent more water efficient than standard models
- An ENERGY STAR certified commercial steam cooker (both electric and gas models) saves businesses about $1,000 annually and on average $12,000 over the product's lifetime on utility bills
- An ENERGY STAR certified commercial steam cooker (electric model) saves businesses about 11,500 kWh annually
- An ENERGY STAR certified commercial steam cooker (gas model) saves businesses about 130 MMBTU annually
- 3-pan or larger gas and electric steam cookers including:
- Countertop models
- Wall-mounted models
- Floor-models mounted on a stand
- Pedestal or cabinet-style base
- Hybrid/combination products
- Pressure steamers
Current Specification Effective Date: August 2003
Electric steam cookers 3-pan and larger must meet a minimum cooking energy efficiency of 50% and an idle rate based on pan capacity. Gas steam cookers 3-pan and larger must meet a minimum cooking energy efficiency of 38% and an idle rate based on pan capacity.
Steam cookers, also known as "compartment steamers", that have earned the ENERGY STAR are up to 60 percent more energy efficient than standard models.
Helpful resources for buying a commercial steam cooker:
Purchasing ENERGY STAR certified CFS equipment can cut utility costs and maintenance without sacrificing features, quality, or style. Many utilities also offer rebates to offset the purchase price of ENERGY STAR equipment.
ENERGY STAR Where to Buy List
For a list of ENERGY STAR dealers and distributors that sell ENERGY STAR certified equipment, visit the ENERGY STAR Where to Buy List. Please contact CommercialFoodService@energystar.gov if you would like to be added to the list.
ENERGY STAR Rebates
For a list of CFS incentives, please visit the ENERGY STAR Rebate Finder.