Commercial refrigerators and freezers are designed and tested with commercial operations in mind which requires them to keep food at specific temperatures in hot kitchen environments as well as subject to frequent door openings. Commercial refrigerators and freezers that meet these new criteria will provide significant savings to commercial kitchen operations.
Commercial refrigerators and freezers that have earned the ENERGY STAR are on average 25 percent more energy efficient than standard models because they are designed with components such as ECM evaporator and condenser fan motors, hot gas anti-sweat heaters, or high-efficiency compressors, which will significantly reduce energy consumption and utility bills.
- ENERGY STAR certified commercial solid door refrigerators can save businesses 285 kWh and more than $30 annually, and $290 on utility bills over the product's lifetime
- ENERGY STAR certified commercial glass door refrigerators can save businesses 400 kWh and nearly $40 annually, and $410 on utility bills over the product's lifetime
- ENERGY STAR certified commercial solid door freezers can save businesses 500 kWh and more than $55 annually, and more than $520 on utility bills over the product's lifetime
- ENERGY STAR certified commercial glass door freezers can save businesses 900 kWh and more than $90 annually, and $910 on utility bills over the product's lifetime
- Solid, transparent
- Mixed solid/transparent door refrigerators and freezers
- Chef base or griddle stands
- Prep tables
- Service over counter units
- Open air units
- Convertible temperature units
- Laboratory-grade equipment
- Remote condensing equipment
Current Specification Effective Date: March 27, 2017
Products must not exceed maximum energy consumption in kWh per day, as determined by internal volume, door type, configuration, and unit type under the new Version 4.0 specification.
Helpful resources for buying a commercial refrigerator and freezer:
Purchasing ENERGY STAR certified CFS equipment can cut utility costs and maintenance without sacrificing features, quality, or style. Many utilities also offer rebates to offset the purchase price of ENERGY STAR equipment.
ENERGY STAR Where to Buy List
For a list of ENERGY STARdealers and distributors that sell ENERGY STAR certified equipment, visit the ENERGY STAR Where to Buy List. Please contact CommercialFoodService@energystar.gov if you would like to be added to the list.
ENERGY STAR Rebates
For a list of CFS incentives, please visit the ENERGY STAR Rebate Finder.
ENERGY STAR Dealer and Distributor Toolkit
Facts on Energy and Cost Savings
One Stop Shop for Commercial Kitchen Resources and Training
Locate Dealers Selling ENERGY STAR CFS Equipment
Commercial Kitchen Success Stories
Design an Energy
Efficient Restaurant or