ENERGY STAR certified hot food holding cabinets often incorporate better insulation which reduces heat loss, offer better temperature uniformity within the cabinet from top to bottom, and keeps the external cabinet cooler. In addition, many certified holding cabinets may include energy saving devices such as magnetic door gaskets, auto-door closures, or dutch doors.
- 70 percent more energy efficient than standard models
- Save businesses $310 annually and on average $3,100 on utility bills over the product’s lifetime when compared to standard models
- Save businesses 3,000 kWh annually
- Glass or solid door cabinets (fully enclosed compartment with one or more doors)
- Dual function equipment (e.g., cook-and-hold and proofing units)
- Heated transparent merchandising cabinets
- Drawer warmers.
These approaches to reducing energy use help keep your kitchen cooler and reduce the impact on your air conditioning systems.
- Look for the ENERGY STAR
- Shut off overnight
- Replace missing or worn out control knobs
Current Specification Effective Date: October 2011
- The Version 2.0 specification took effect on October 1, 2011. Materials related to this revision process are provided at the product development page.
- Hot food holding cabinets that have earned the ENERGY STAR are 65 percent more energy efficient than standard models.
Helpful resources for buying a commercial hot food holding cabinet:
Purchasing ENERGY STAR certified CFS equipment can cut utility costs and maintenance without sacrificing features, quality, or style. Many utilities also offer rebates to offset the purchase price of ENERGY STAR equipment.
ENERGY STAR Where to Buy List
For a list of ENERGY STAR dealers and distributors that sell ENERGY STAR certified equipment, visit the ENERGY STAR Where to Buy List. Please contact CommercialFoodService@energystar.gov if you would like to be added to the list.
ENERGY STAR Rebates
For a list of CFS incentives, please visit the ENERGY STAR Rebate Finder.