Hot food holding cabinets that have earned the ENERGY STAR are 70 percent more energy efficient than standard models. On average, ENERGY STAR certified models can save $300 per year for electricity or over $2,800 over the product lifetime, when compared to a standard model. Saving energy helps consumers save money on utility bills and protect the climate by reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Cabinets that meet the ENERGY STAR requirements often incorporate better insulation which reduces heat loss, offers better temperature uniformity within the cabinet from top to bottom and keeps the external cabinet cooler. In addition, many certified holding cabinets may include additional energy saving devices such as magnetic door gaskets, auto-door closures, or dutch doors.
These approaches to reducing energy use help keep your kitchen cooler and reduce the impact on your air conditioning systems.
Save energy and cut costs by following these simple tips:
- Look for the ENERGY STAR
- Shut off overnight
- Use the timer
- Replace missing or worn out control knobs
Current Specification Effective Date: October 2011
- The Version 2.0 Specification has been finalized and shall take effect October 1, 2011. Materials related to this revision process are provided at the product development page.
- Hot food holding cabinets that have earned the ENERGY STAR are 65 percent more energy efficient than standard models.
What else should I look for when buying a commercial hot food holding cabinet?
Purchasing ENERGY STAR certified CFS equipment can cut kitchen utility costs and maintenance without sacrificing features, quality, or style. Many utilities also offer rebates to offset the purchase price of ENERGY STAR equipment.
For a list of CFS incentives, please see either the CFS Incentive Guide or the ENERGY STAR CFS Incentive Finder:
1. The CFS Incentive Guide (EXCEL, 1.2 MB) provides a list of incentives for both ENERGY STAR certified equipment and energy efficient equipment not covered by the ENERGY STAR program.
2. The CFS Incentive Finder is available for ENERGY STAR CFS utility incentives by location.
Eligible Types of Commercial Hot Food Holding Cabinets: Glass or solid door cabinets (fully enclosed compartment with one or more doors).
Ineligible Types of Commercial Hot Food Holding Cabinets: Dual function equipment (e.g., cook-and-hold and proofing units), heated transparent merchandising cabinets, and drawer warmers.
For a list of dealers and distributors who sell ENERGY STAR certified CFS equipment, see the Where to Buy list.