The ENERGY STAR label can be found on gas and electric, single and double-sided commercial griddles that are thermostatically controlled. Some of the additional benefits beyond energy savings of ENERGY STAR certified griddles include improved uniformity of temperature across the griddle plate, and a higher production capacity. To meet the stringent requirements of the ENERGY STAR specification for griddles, manufacturers use some of the following approaches – using highly conductive or reflective plate materials, using improved thermostatic controls; and strategically placing thermocouples.
- ENERGY STAR certified electric griddles are 11 percent more energy efficient than standard models
- Save businesses around $135 annually and an average of about $1,380 on utility bills over the product's lifetime when compared to standard models
- Save businesses around 1,300 kWh annually
- ENERGY STAR certified gas griddles are 10 percent more energy efficient than standard models
- Save businesses around $95 per year and an average of more than $1,060 on utility bills over the product's lifetime when compared to standard models
- Can save businesses 12 MMBTU annually
- Single- and double-sided gas and electric models that are thermostatically controlled
- Manually controlled griddles and fry-top ranges
Save energy and cut costs by following these simple tips:
- Look for the ENERGY STAR
- Reduce idle time by turning the griddle off during periods of non-use
- Minimize energy waste by reducing the temperature of sections of the griddle(s) during periods of slow production
- Calibrate the griddle controls to operate at the correct temperature
- Replace missing control knobs
- For double-sided griddles, save energy by lowering the upper platen during extended periods of non-use
Current Specification Effective Date: May 8, 2009
- Covers gas and electric, single and double sided units which must meet normalized idle energy rate
- Griddles that earn the ENERGY STAR must not exceed maximum idle energy rates
- Gas fueled ENERGY STAR certified must not exceed a normalized idle energy rate of 2,650 Btu/h/ft2.
What else should I look for when buying a commercial griddle?
Purchasing ENERGY STAR certified CFS equipment can cut utility costs and maintenance without sacrificing features, quality, or style. Many utilities also offer rebates to offset the purchase price of ENERGY STAR equipment.
ENERGY STAR Where to Buy List
For a list of dealers and distributors that sell ENERGY STAR certified equipment, visit the ENERGY STAR Where to Buy List. Please contact CommercialFoodService@energystar.gov if you would like to be added to the list.
ENERGY STAR Rebates
For a list of CFS incentives, please visit the ENERGY STAR Rebate Finder.
ENERGY STAR Dealer and Distributor Toolkit
Facts on Energy and Cost Savings
One Stop Shop for Commercial Kitchen Resources and Training
Locate Dealers Selling ENERGY STAR CFS Equipment
Commercial Kitchen Success Stories
Design an Energy
Efficient Restaurant or