Energy efficient fryers that have earned the ENERGY STAR offer shorter cook times and higher production rates through advanced burner and heat exchanger designs. Fry pot insulation reduces standby losses resulting in a lower idle energy rate. Large vat fryers are used in a variety of high-volume food establishments including fast food and full service restaurants, grocery and retail, and institutional kitchens.
Standard sized fryers that have earned the ENERGY STAR are up to 30 percent more energy efficient than standard models and large vat commercial fryers that have earned the ENERGY STAR are up to 35 percent more energy efficient than non-qualified models.
- ENERGY STAR certified commercial standard vat electric fryers are 14 percent more energy efficient than standard models
- ENERGY STAR certified commercial standard vat electric fryers save businesses about 2,390 kWh and $245 annually and on average $2,500 on utility bills over the product’s lifetime
- ENERGY STAR certified commercial standard vat gas fryers are 30 percent more energy efficient than standard models
- ENERGY STAR certified commercial standard vat gas fryers save businesses about 50 MMBTU and $400 annually and on average $4,640 on utility bills over the product’s lifetime
- Gas and electric open deep-fat fryers, including standard fry pot sizes (≥ 12 inches and < 18 inches wide)
- Large vat fryers (18 to 24 inches wide)
- Countertop and floor type models
- Closed vat fryers and fryers with vats measuring < 12 inches wide or > 24 inches wide
Current Specification Effective Date: October 2016
- Fryers that have earned the ENERGY STAR are up to 35 percent more energy efficient than standard models.
- Fryers (both large vat and standard sizes) that earn the ENERGY STAR must meet a minimum cooking efficiency of 50 percent (gas) and 80 percent (electric) while also meeting a maximum idle energy rate.
Helpful resources for buying a commercial fryer:
Purchasing ENERGY STAR certified CFS equipment can cut kitchen utility costs and maintenance without sacrificing features, quality, or style. Many utilities also offer rebates to offset the purchase price of ENERGY STAR equipment.
ENERGY STAR Where to Buy List
For a list of ENERGY STAR dealers and distributors that sell ENERGY STAR certified equipment, visit the ENERGY STAR Where to Buy List. Please contact CommercialFoodService@energystar.gov if you would like to be added to the list.
ENERGY STAR Rebates
For a list of CFS incentives, please visit the ENERGY STAR Rebate Finder.
ENERGY STAR Dealer and Distributor Toolkit
Facts on Energy and Cost Savings
One Stop Shop for Commercial Kitchen Resources and Training
Locate Dealers Selling ENERGY STAR CFS Equipment
Commercial Kitchen Success Stories
Design an Energy
Efficient Restaurant or