Back to School with ENERGY STAR
Summer is still in full swing, but if you have headed to the stores lately, you know that the back-to-school shopping season is upon us. Gone are the days where all a student needed was a Trapper Keeper and a new box of pencils. These days students are using the latest in technology to keep on top of their studies. But don’t fret over your seemingly never-ending back-to-school shopping list. From grade school to graduate school, much of what you need to get to the head of the class can also save energy, save money and help protect the environment – just look for ENERGY STAR label.
- Computers: If there is one thing a student needs to start the school year off on the right foot, it’s a good computer. With so many to choose from it may be hard to decide which on to pick, but after you consider all the bells and whistles, remember to look for the trusted blue label. An ENERGY STAR certified computer will use about 60% less energy, depending on how it is used. It’s a decision that will save you energy and money all school year long.
- Slates and Tablets: In addition to traditional computers, slates and tablets are also in big demand with many students, allowing them to do everything from taking notes to streaming content on a light-weight, easy-to-carry device. Did you know? Compared to desktop or notebook computers, slates and tables are the most energy efficient choice for simple tasks such as browsing the internet or streaming content. In fact, tablets and slates use significantly less energy than any other device you might use to stream videos, especially compared to a game console. An ENERGY STAR certified slate uses 10 times less power to stream than a game console.
- Imaging Equipment: Now that you have your computer/slate/tablet, you will need a way to print that paper you stayed up all night to write. Look for the ENERGY STAR on a range of imaging products, including copiers, printers, and all-in-one devices. Certified models are 30% more efficient than standard models, and since they are required to enter low-power “sleep” modes when inactive, they will save energy when they are in use and when they are not.
- Small Network Equipment: You can’t use any of your internet-connected products without small network equipment like modems and routers. Make sure to look for the ENERGY STAR when purchasing these products for 20% greater energy efficiency than standard models.
- Refrigerators, televisions and more: If you are headed to college you know that not every item on your shopping list revolves around studying. Items like a mini-fridge and television could be most important for a dorm-dweller. Look for the ENERGY STAR and help make a difference. If all televisions sold in the U.S. were ENERGY STAR certified, energy cost savings would grow to more than $640 million a year and 9 billion pounds of annual greenhouse gas emissions would be prevented.
Happy back-to-school shopping!