Technical Guidance Documents
- Slab Edge Insulation Exemption Details (PDF, 213KB) — This document provides explanations and illustrations of slab edge insulation exemptions.
- Kitchen Exhaust Guidance (PDF, 130KB) — This document provides guidance on alternative compliance options for meeting the kitchen mechanical exhaust requirements.
- Attic Hatch Details (PDF, 143KB) — This document provides explanations and illustrations of insulation details for attic entrances.
- Duct Leakage Exemptions Guide (PDF, 65KB) – This document provides guidance on exemptions to testing duct leakage to the outdoors.
- ERI Exceptions Guide (PDF, 48KB) – This document provides explanations of EPA-Approved Exceptions to ANSI / RESNET / ICC Standard 301.
- Carribean Aperture Guide (PDF, 366 KB) - This document provides guidance on operable aperture locations for the Caribbean Program Requirements.
- Design Temperature Limits for ENERGY STAR Certified Homes - To meet the requirements of the program, the outdoor design temperatures used must not exceed a specified maximum cooling season temperature and minimum heating season temperature for the state and county, or territory, will the home will be certified. This page provides addition information and the specified limits.
- How Version 3 Certified Homes Help Meet the 2009 IECC (PDF, 421KB) – This factsheet details how ENERGY STAR certification using Version 3 can help to demonstrate compliance with the 2009 IECC.
- How Version 3.1 Certified Homes Help Meet the 2012 IECC (PDF, 430KB) – This factsheet details how ENERGY STAR certification using Version 3.1 can help to demonstrate compliance with the 2012 IECC.
- How Version 3.1 Certified Homes Help Meet the 2015 IECC (PDF, 456KB) – This factsheet details how ENERGY STAR certification using Version 3.1 can help to demonstrate compliance with the 2015 IECC.
Inspection Checklist Technical Guides
Technical guides for the ENERGY STAR Residential New Construction program are available at the Building America Solutions Center, created by the U.S. Department of Energy. These free guides provide a wealth of building science and energy-efficiency information. They are intended to be aligned with, and used as a supplemental resource to the program requirements, but do not represent official ENERGY STAR policy.
Please contact us with any questions about the ENERGY STAR Version 3 guidelines.