Certification Body Resources
EPA–recognized certification bodies (CBs) certify products that meet ENERGY STAR requirements and report information on those products to EPA. A CB must be EPA–recognized to certify products. One of the key criteria for recognition is accreditation to ISO/IEC 17065 by an accreditation body that is an International Accreditation Forum Multilateral Recognition Agreement (IAF MLA) signatory. CBs must verify that test results are from an EPA–recognized laboratory, maintain open correspondence with EPA, and cooperate with their AB for ongoing accreditation. CBs are also responsible for administering verification testing and challenge testing. CBs for insulation have unique requirements.
- Maintain accreditation to ISO/IEC 17065 as per ENERGY STAR requirements.
Certify product performance according to the Standard Operating Procedure for Certification and Verification of Products to ENERGY STAR Specifications (PDF, 1.1 MB)
- Enroll first-party laboratories (EXCEL, 77 KB) in a CB’s witnessed or supervised manufacturers’ testing laboratory (W/SMTL) program. Note, operating a W/SMTL program is optional.
- Report certified products and corresponding data to EPA.
- Submit data through the Qualified Product Exchange system via XML web services using well–formed, valid XML documents compliant with the web–services definition provided.
- Report products not eligible for ENERGY STAR certification (EXCEL, 30 KB) to EPA.
- Administer verification testing and challenge testing, and share testing results.
- Report certification errors to EPA within two business days of discovery using the ENERGY STAR Failure Report (EXCEL, 83 KB).
- Complete and submit verification testing summary report (EXCEL, 142 KB) and if applicable, the CFS Component Inspection Summary Report (EXCEL, 33KB)
- Report models that fail to meet ENERGY STAR requirements (EXCEL, 162 KB).
- Use the Certified Subcomponent Database (CSD) to support certification of luminaires. Note, use of the CSD is optional.
- Cooperate with ongoing assessments and audits from accreditors and from EPA.
- Participate in all required meetings and conference calls with EPA.
- Stay engaged in the development of all new and revised product specifications and test procedures.
How to Apply for EPA Recognition
- Obtain or maintain accreditation to ISO/IEC 17065 from an AB that is an IAF MLA signatory.
- Agree to comply with the Conditions and Criteria for Recognition of Certification Bodies (PDF, 334 KB).
- Develop internal procedures to include all requirements in the Conditions and Criteria, including but not limited to:
- Verification testing
- Re–evaluation in the event of significant changes
- Challenge testing
- Process for resolving discrepancies
- Complete and sign the application (PDF, 560 KB) for recognition of CBs.
- Submit all internal procedures and signed application to Certification@energystar.gov.
- MESA Guide for Certification Bodies (PDF, 1.6 MB)
EPA hosts periodic training sessions with CBs which are listed below. All CB trainings for new or revised ENERGY STAR specifications can be found on the CB Specification Technical Assistance page.
New MESA Training Webinar for CBs
On August 22, 2019, EPA held a mandatory training webinar for certification bodies to help staff navigate and better understand the upcoming new MESA platform as it relates to contact management, review of QPX submissions, and review of brand owner and laboratory statuses. EPA provided attendees with the following presentation.
ENERGY STAR Webinar for EPA-Recognized CBs (PDF, 985 KB)
Mandatory Webinar for CBs on May 5, 2016
On May 5th, 2016, EPA held a mandatory training webinar for certification bodies to discuss various topics relating to the ENERGY STAR Third-Party Certification scheme. In addition, the webinar also included an overviews of the certification and product submissions process, verification testing policies and procedures, enforcement policies, best practices for certification bodies, and additional resources. EPA provided attendees with the following presentation.
- ENERGY STAR Webinar for EPA-Recognized CBs (PDF, 1.4 MB)
Mandatory Webinar for CBs on June 17, 2015
On June 17, 2015, EPA held a mandatory conference call session for certification bodies to discuss program compliance, reporting verification testing failures, and provide a forum for certification bodies to raise questions regarding verification testing and compliance processes. EPA provided attendees with the following presentation.
ENERGY STAR Webinar for EPA—Recognized CBs (PDF, 232 KB)
Mandatory Webinar for CBs on December 10, 2014
On December 10, 2014, EPA held a mandatory conference call session for certification bodies to discuss verification testing reporting requirements, prepare for 2015 verification testing, and provide a forum for certification bodies to share lessons learned from 2014. EPA provided attendees with the following presentation.
Mandatory Webinar for CBs on January 29, 2014
On January 29, 2014, EPA held a mandatory conference call session for certification bodies to discuss verification testing and other priorities for the year. EPA provided attendees with the following presentation.
Mandatory Webinar for CBs on April 24, 2013
On April 24, 2013, EPA held a mandatory conference call session for certification bodies to discuss lessons learned from 2011 and 2012 verification testing. In addition, the webinar also included a discussion of the timeline and transition to ISO/IEC 17065 as well as addressed data quality issues for data submitted through the XML–based Qualified Product Exchange (QPX) system. EPA provided attendees with the following presentation.
Visit the Frequently Asked Questions.