EPA-recognized accreditation bodies (ABs) provide accreditation for laboratories and certification bodies (CBs). ABs must be recognized by EPA to accredit laboratories. To accredit CBs, an AB must be a signatory to the International Accreditation Forum Multilateral Recognition Agreement (IAF MLA). ABs provide ongoing accreditation and auditing of both CBs and laboratories.
- Accredit CBs and/or laboratories as per the ENERGY STAR recognition requirements (PDF, 29 KB).
- Audit CBs or laboratories for ongoing accreditation and compliance to the ENERGY STAR recognition requirements, and report results to EPA.
- Keep track of new and revised product specifications and test procedures.
How to Apply for EPA Recognition (ABs accrediting laboratories only)
- Comply with Conditions and Criteria for Recognition of Accreditation Bodies (PDF, 29 KB).
- Operate program in conformance with ISO/IEC 17011.
- Maintain status as an International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation Mutual Recognition Agreement (ILAC MRA) signatory.
- Train assessors on relevant ENERGY STAR specifications.
- Complete and sign the application (PDF, 70 KB) for recognition of ABs.
- Submit quality management system documentation and signed application to Certification@energystar.gov.
Visit the Frequently Asked Questions.