2016 Innovative Refrigerant Systems
The ENERGY STAR® Emerging Technology Award (ETA) is given to innovative technologies that meet rigorous performance criteria to reduce energy use and lower greenhouse gas emissions. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is pleased to recognize Innovative Refrigerant Systems used in ENERGY STAR certified residential and commercial products with the ENERGY STAR Emerging Technology Award for 2016.
Systems that meet the performance criteria for Innovative Refrigerant Systems will be listed on this webpage once it is determined that all Award criteria have been satisfied. Manufacturers can submit documentation for eligible Innovative Refrigerant Systems to EmergingTech@energystar.gov.
2016 Emerging Technology Award-Winning Innovative Refrigerant Systems
- List of 2016 Emerging Technology Award Systems (PDF, 108 KB)
Benefits of ENERGY STAR Emerging Technology Award-Winning Systems:
The Award differentiates forward-thinking manufacturers and system designers by distinguishing promising technologies that offer savings and sustainability. For existing ENERGY STAR certified residential and commercial products, the use of low-Global Warming Potential (GWP) refrigerant systems can offer customers and end-users additional energy savings along with the superior product performance that they already expect from ENERGY STAR certified equipment.
Winning Technologies Must Demonstrate the Following:
- Contain a climate-friendly refrigerant with a GWP < 15
- Demonstrate an energy efficiency gain of 5% or greater
- Establish that efficiency gains are isolated to the refrigerant or components needed to support the refrigerant system
- Utilize a refrigerant that has been approved for use in the U. S. market, and listed as acceptable by EPA’s Significant New Use Alternatives Policy (SNAP) Program