Kohl’s Department Stores, Inc.
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Kohl’s Department Stores, Inc. is a specialty department store that operates 1,150 stores in 49 states. Kohl’s is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued commitment to seeking innovative solutions for reducing energy use while demonstrating the value of environmental stewardship to associates, customers, and the general public. Key 2016 accomplishments include:
- Certifying six Kohl’s stores in 2016. Kohl’s has now earned ENERGY STAR certification for 1,001 stores, 86 percent of Kohl’s portfolio.
- Raising awareness by playing overhead announcements notifying customers that they are shopping in an ENERGY STAR certified store, and placing a message on the company intranet, Facebook, and Twitter, and at the bottom of receipts.
- Pursuing energy efficient lighting in stores and distribution centers. Kohl’s light-emitting diode (LED) retrofit lighting projects were completed at 66 locations, resulting in an energy savings of more than 20 million kilowatt hours (kWh) in 2016. Kohl’s re-lamped 10 stores, switching from 32-watt fluorescent bulbs to 28-watt fluorescent bulbs and saving 455 kWh per year.
- Reducing weather-normalized source energy use intensity by 2.4 percent.
- Convening an annual summit for staff across different departments, including sustainability, facilities, and store environment and design, along with vendors, to discuss improvements to increase energy efficiency and reduce waste.