Benton Harbor, Michigan
Partner of the Year
Product Brand Owner
Whirlpool Corporation is the number one major appliance manufacturer in the world, marketing some of the world’s most recognized appliance brands, including Whirlpool, Kitchen-Aid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, Jenn-Air, and Indesit. The company integrates an ENERGY STAR® commitment throughout its operations through its across-the-board strategy for greenhouse gas emissions reduction and by continuously promoting the benefits of ENERGY STAR to its trade customers, employees, and consumers. Whirlpool Corporation is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year recognition for achievements in product manufacturing. Key accomplishments in 2014 include:
- Leading the industry by being the first to certify an ENERGY STAR clothes dryer.
- Introducing the Whirlpool® HybridCare™ Duet® ENERGY STAR certified heat pump clothes dryer, which uses a refrigeration system to regenerate heat during the drying cycle and uses up to 73 percent less energy when paired with a matching washer, compared to a standard laundry pair.
- Offering innovations in ENERGY STAR dishwashers such as the ultra-fine filter wash system in the KitchenAid brand with 18 percent shorter cycles to combat long cycle times, while continuing to significantly decrease dishwasher energy use by 13 percent and improve water efficiency by 35 percent.
- Training all Whirlpool employees and distributors/retailers, and leading industry efforts on guides to help navigate the 2014 refrigerator standards transition.
- Maintaining a 14-year partnership with Habitat for Humanity, donating nearly 160,000 ENERGY STAR certified refrigerators and other kitchen appliances to new Habitat homes, serving nearly 81,000 families in need of affordable housing.
- Demonstrating a commitment to reducing GHG emissions by becoming the world’s first home appliance manufacturer to fully implement Honeywell’s new Solstice® Liquid Blowing Agent—a climate-friendly alternative—in refrigerators at all U.S. manufacturing centers.
- Generating more than 1.5 billion impressions in 2014 alone through print, radio, direct mail, television, and point-of-purchase efforts all highlighting ENERGY STAR products.