ENERGY STAR offers energy tracking and benchmarking tools to help manufacturers assess their energy performance, establish baselines, and set performance improvement goals.
Tracking manufacturing energy
Most manufacturers track energy through purchased software or systems designed in-house. Smaller companies may not have the resources to invest in a custom data management system. To assist smaller companies, EPA offers the Energy Tracking Tool (and a complimentary Quick Start Quide), a simple means for tracking energy performance over time and progress toward meeting goals. The tool enables users to track monthly or annual energy data for facilities and the entire organization, reporting out custom energy intensity metrics, such as MMBtu/unit of production.
Benchmarking industrial and commercial facility energy performance
EPA makes it easy to compare the energy performance of your manufacturing plant or building with similar facilities nationwide. For specific types of plants and buildings in the U.S., ENERGY STAR benchmarking tools are available to score energy performance on a scale of 1 to 100.
Gain an understanding of how a facility’s energy performance compares to that of similar facilities. Buildings and plants with an energy performance score of 75 or higher are eligible to apply for ENERGY STAR certification.
ENERGY STAR plant Energy Performance Indicators (EPIs) are external, industry-specific benchmarks that score a manufacturing plant’s energy performance and compare it to that of similar plants in the U.S. The following EPIs are currently available:
- Aluminum Casting Plant EPI
- Automobile Assembly EPI
- Automobile Engine Plant EPI
- Automobile Transmission EPI
- Cement Manufacturing EPI
- Commercial Bread & Roll Bakery EPI
- Container Glass Manufacturing Plants EPI
- Cookie and Cracker Plants EPI
- Flat Glass Manufacturing Plants EPI
- Fluid Milk Processing EPI
- Frozen Fried Potato Processing Plants EPI
- Integrated Paper and Paperboard Manufacturing Plant EPI
- Integrated Steel Plant EPI
- Iron Casting Plant EPI
- Juice Processing Plants EPI
- Nitrogenous Fertilizer Plant EPI
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturing EPI
- Pulp Mill EPI
- Wet Corn Milling EPI
EPA’s ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager tool helps you measure and track the energy use and greenhouse gas emissions of your commercial buildings and share results. You can also use it to track water consumption.