ENERGY STAR Focus on Energy Efficiency in Distilled Spirits Production
The ENERGY STAR Industrial Focus on Distilled Spirit Production offers distilleries the opportunity to benchmark their energy efficiency, learn best practices around energy management, and learn how their peers are saving energy and reducing emissions.
Distillers can get started on a path of saving energy by using the ENERGY STAR Guidelines for Energy Management to build an energy management program, and then work within the ENERGY STAR Distillery Focus to learn best practices from the industry. If you are a distillery who wants to get involved in your industry’s efforts to save energy, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Energy Guide for Distilleries
The ENERGY STAR Distillery Guide contains nearly 180 ways to reduce energy use and greenhouse gases in distilleries. Access the guide and learn tips for integrating the guide into existing best practices here:
What will the Distilled Spirits Focus offer?
EPA works with individual manufacturing sectors through ENERGY STAR to improve energy efficiency. ENERGY STAR industrial focuses provide a non-competitive environment for EPA and industry energy managers to work together to build unique and helpful energy management tools for the industry. Participating companies could access:
- A plant energy performance indicator (EPI) that scores a distillery’s energy performance between 1-100 nationally based on key plant operating conditions (e.g., energy usage, production, etc.).
- Distilleries that score a 75 or above using their ENERGY STAR EPI will be eligible for ENERGY STAR certification.
- Distilleries that improve their energy intensity by 10% or more within five years are eligible for ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry recognition.
- An energy professional to help industry energy managers build energy management programs, share non-proprietary management approaches, and answer questions regarding energy management.
- An annual industry forum where energy managers can openly discuss best energy management practices and non-confidential issues confronting their energy management programs.
- Periodic webinars to exchange energy management tips, provide updates, and obtain feedback as tools are developed.
September 2022: ENERGY STAR released second draft of the Distillery Energy Performance Indicator for testing. To test the EPI and provide feedback please contact email@example.com.
April 2022: In April 2022 ENERGY STAR released the ENERGY STAR Energy Savings Guide for Distilleries. To view the Guide click here.
2021: ENERGY STAR Partner, the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS), is supporting developing and refining the ENERGY STAR Energy Performance Indicator for distilleries. Please visit their sustainability page to learn more.