Loudoun County Public Schools
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
As the third largest school system in the Commonwealth of Virginia, Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) is a rapidly growing district that instructs more than 73,000 students at its 86 public schools. LCPS has demonstrated its strong commitment to energy conservation by promoting smart energy behavior and applying energy efficiency principles and practices to its operations. LCPS is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued commitment to increasing energy efficiency through the creation of an energy-saving culture among students, staff members, and parents. Key accomplishments include:
- Adding water consumption data for all facilities into ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager®, along with energy data.
- Installing ENERGY STAR certified products and appliances throughout its three new schools.
- Benchmarking district facilities in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager, and earning ENERGY STAR certification for 47 district facilities, well above the seven certifications earned in 2008.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for two existing school buildings that achieved Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR during construction.
- Saving more than $60 million and preventing the emissions of more than 280,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide over the past 20 years.