J. C. Penney Company, Inc.
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
J.C. Penney Company, Inc. is one of the nation’s largest apparel and home furnishing retailers, with approximately 1,100 department stores in the United States and Puerto Rico. J.C. Penney is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence recognition for continuing its strong commitment to energy efficiency. In the face of unprecedented change across the entire company, the energy team at J.C. Penney creatively relied on partnerships and teamwork to achieve their energy reduction goals. Key 2013 accomplishments include:
- Reducing average weather normalized source energy use by 4.5 percent. This was in spite of the fact that the company completed major renovations on 10 million square feet of space during the year.
- Achieving its 500th store certification.
- Entering 150 stores as competitors in EPA’s 2013 ENERGY STAR National Building Competition, achieving an average per store savings of 10 percent over the one year competition period.
- Building an innovative store scheduler with cost impact alert into the company’s online JCPenney EnergyCenterTM. This allows store managers to make operations scheduling decisions based on real time information on cost impacts.
- Designing, developing, and deploying one of the most progressive communication and energy reporting systems in the retail industry.
- Empowering staff within stores to actively participate in conserving energy by providing them with information about the performance of their stores, training them on the importance of energy efficiency, and utilizing EPA’s National Building Competition as incentive to improve.