Food Lion and Bottom Dollar Food
Salisbury, North Carolina
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
Food Lion and Bottom Dollar Food, (FL/BDF) is the largest operating entity of Belgium-based Delhaize Group, which owns 1,256 stores in the United States. FL/BDF is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued dedication to identifying, developing, and investing in new technologies and operational best practices to save energy and money. Key 2013 accomplishments include:
- Reducing companywide energy use by 104.4 billion kBtu. Since 2000, FL/BDF has reduced its energy consumption by more than 2.9 trillion kBtu, or 30 percent.
- Earning the ENERGY STAR for an additional 81 stores, for a total of 1,062 stores, or 85 percent of the entire chain.
- Mentoring independently operated sister companies Hannaford and Sweetbay Supermarket in best practices for energy efficiency, refrigeration, and sustainability.
- Utilizing utility rebates to replace T8 fluorescent tube lighting with LEDs in freezer cases in 303 stores.
- Working with vendors to develop more efficient technologies; as a result, many efficiency requirements have been incorporated into manufacturer specifications, benefiting other companies.
- Increasing awareness about their partnership with ENERGY STAR to customers by placing the ENERGY STAR logo on shopping bags, making overhead announcements in stores, and displaying decals on certified stores.