Mansfield Independent School District
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Energy Management
Mansfield Independent School District (MISD) serves nearly 33,000 students across more than six million square feet of space. MISD is receiving ENERGY STAR recognition for its commitment to energy usage reduction and efficiency as the district undergoes rapid growth. Key accomplishments include:
- Creating Energy Champion groups at all 41 of its elementary and secondary campuses. These Energy Champions communicate with the Assistant Superintendent, and provide guidance and feedback to their campuses regarding effective conservation practices, encouraging every staff member to actively participate in energy conservation efforts.
- Conducting more than 2,600 formal and informal building audits via energy specialists who provided feedback to facility administrators to inform behavioral change in teachers and students.
- Benchmarking district facilities in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager, and achieving an average ENERGY STAR energy performance score of 94 across 38 eligible facilities – an increase of 3 points compared to 2012.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification more than 185 times for its facilities since 2006.
- Saving about $660,000 in avoided energy costs in 2013 and achieving an overall reduction of more than 2,060 metric tons of CO2CO2 between January 2013 and August 2013 – the equivalent of carbon dioxide emissions of more than 280 homes’ electricity use for one year.