USAA Real Estate Company
San Antonio, Texas
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
USAA Real Estate Company has more than $12 billion in assets under management and provides co-investment, acquisition, and development services across the United States for corporate and institutional investors. USAA Real Estate Company is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence recognition for continuing to find new and creative opportunities to improve energy efficiency in its diverse portfolio of high-performing properties. Key 2013 accomplishments include:
- Achieving ENERGY STAR certification, or having an ENERGY STAR score above 75, for 97 percent of its total office square footage. USAA Realty Company has achieved a cumulative energy savings of 46 percent and $20 million in energy costs saved since 2000.
- Participating in EPA’s National Building Competition and having two hotels reduce energy consumption by more than 10 percent. USAA engaged stakeholders in the event by using platforms including Twitter, tenant events, emailed newsletters, and giveaways.
- Sharing best practices on tenant engagement in the Occupancy Engagement for Sustainability report as part of the company’s relationship with the Sustainability Roundtable.
- Adding ENERGY STAR information to its website and continually developing awareness of the impact of the building performance and environmental impacts that energy efficiency can have.
- Receiving the Chief Executive Officer’s approval and signature on the USAA Sustainability Policy, and proudly displaying the Strategic Energy Management plan on the company website.