Habitat for Humanity of Metro Denver
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Affordable Housing
Habitat for Humanity of Metro Denver (HFHMD) focuses on building high-quality, energy-efficient homes to save low-income homeowners hundreds of dollars each year on utility costs. These energy savings increase the amount of funds homeowners are able to use for other necessities such as food, medical attention, and educational supplies for their children, thereby helping families break the generational cycle of poverty. HFHMD is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence recognition for its outstanding commitment to providing permanent, affordable, and energy-efficient ENERGY STAR certified homes. Key 2013 accomplishments include:
- Completing 29 new ENERGY STAR certified homes in 2013, providing permanent and affordable housing to more than 120 adults and children. All of its homes have been ENERGY STAR certified since 2010.
- Bringing the total number of ENERGY STAR certified new homes built by HFHMD to 369, saving homeowners more than $1.1 million over the life of the homes and reducing CO2 emissions by nearly 31,000 metric tons.
- Constructing homes that meet the combined requirements of EPA’s Indoor airPLUS, WaterSense®, and ENERGY STAR programs.
- Equipping all ENERGY STAR certified homes with ENERGY STAR certified products, including refrigerators, front-loading clothes washers, and CFL bulbs in all light fixtures.
- Educating homeowners, both before and after their homes are built, on the energy efficiency features of their homes and how to maximize their energy savings by properly operating and maintaining their homes.