Merck & Co., Inc.
Whitehouse Station, New Jersey
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
Merck & Co., Inc. (Merck) is a global, research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare company with a vision to be “the most energy-efficient company in the pharmaceutical industry and a leader among FORTUNE 500 companies.” Merck has a successful energy and sustainability program that reaches high levels of performance. Merck is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued leadership in energy management and strategic focus on helping others achieve world class status for energy management. Key 2013 accomplishments include:
- Achieving a 7.4-percent energy intensity reduction for its U.S./Puerto Rico operations and an 8.3-percent reduction globally compared to 2012. These reductions contributed to Merck reducing its greenhouse gas emissions by 10.4 percent from 2009 to 2012, and achieving its climate goal three years ahead of schedule.
- Increasing the size of Merck’s portfolio of ENERGY STAR certified facilities by earning ENERGY STAR certification at a new building, while maintaining certification for three manufacturing sites and four office buildings.
- Registering all Merck manufacturing sites in EPA’s ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry, and meeting the Challenge at four sites in Europe.
- Investing over $12.4 million in energy efficiency projects through the Merck energy efficiency capital fund.
- Promoting energy efficiency by mentoring other ENERGY STAR partner companies in conducting energy treasure hunts; actively participating in EPA’s ENERGY STAR Focus on Energy Efficiency in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing; and engaging suppliers, customers, employees, and local communities through social media, events, and other communication tools.