Evergreen Public Schools
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
Evergreen Public Schools (EPS) is the fourth largest district in Washington and serves nearly 27,000 students in 35 schools. The district has made great strides in reducing its energy consumption each year. EPS is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence recognition for its ongoing commitment to finding new ways to save energy and promoting its successes with the ENERGY STAR program. Key accomplishments include:
- Raising its average portfolio-wide 1–100 ENERGY STAR score by five points to 87. This represents a 51-point increase since 2008 and a 40-percent reduction in energy use overall.
- Saving more than $1.8 million in its most recent 12-month performance period, for a total of more than $8.1 million saved since first implementing its multifaceted energy management approach in 2008.
- Integrating energy efficiency into ongoing maintenance decisions through the purchase of numerous ENERGY STAR certified appliances, including dishwashers, refrigerators, washers, and freezers; and providing support for the district’s HVAC technicians to receive training in efficient operations of the school HVAC equipment.
- Promoting a culture of energy awareness through the ENERGY STAR program by displaying the ENERGY STAR logo on all publications, banners at all schools, community videos, educational presentations, newsletter stories, and regular resource conservation faculty meetings.
- Partnering with local utilities to obtain incentive funding to support a major lighting retrofit, as well as to replace two large conventional boilers with condensing boilers, and offering nearly $25,000 in incentives to its schools for positive energy behavior.