Liberty Property Trust
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Energy Management
As a $7 billion real estate investment trust, Liberty Property Trust owns nearly 81 million square feet of office and industrial space throughout the United States and United Kingdom. Liberty Property Trust is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year recognition for institutionalizing a comprehensive approach to energy management throughout its corporate structure and expanding its energy management programs, including the use of ENERGY STAR tools and resources, to tenants and stakeholders. Key 2012 accomplishments include:
- Achieving a 6.8-percent reduction in total energy use and a portfolio-wide average ENERGY STAR score of 75 by emphasizing innovation, technology, and partnerships.
- Reducing normalized, portfolio energy use by more than 18 percent since 2008, equal to the elimination of 27,804 metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions, and accumulating more than $4 million in energy savings in that time.
- Dedicating resources, with the creation of a capital fund, to specifically identify and fund energy efficiency projects not included in the standard capital budget.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for more than 80 buildings and focusing on energy-efficient building design by mandating that all new construction office building designs must achieve a minimum score of 80 in Target Finder.
- Benchmarking 100 percent of its managed portfolio in Portfolio Manager, currently 132 buildings, and changing its standard office and industrial lease language to require self-managed tenants to share their utility data with the landlord by request, with the goal of benchmarking all buildings in the Liberty portfolio.
- Launching efforts to engage building tenants in benchmarking and energy conservation through its Liberty Energy Efficiency Partnership (LEEP) program and the Liberty Green Guide website.