New York-Presbyterian Hospital
New York, New York
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
Based in New York City, New York-Presbyterian Hospital (NYP) is the nation's largest nonprofit, non-sectarian hospital with 2,333 beds. Its four major campuses encompass 33 buildings and 8.6 million square feet, making it among the top two percent of energy users in the New York City metropolitan area. NYP is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence recognition for its ongoing commitment to comprehensive energy management. Key 2012 accomplishments include:
- Increasing its portfolio-wide average ENERGY STAR energy performance score by 12 points compared to its 2010 score.
- Improving its average annual source energy intensity by 2.2 kBtu per square foot, an improvement of more than 100 million kBtu across its portfolio.
- Achieving over $2.1 million in energy cost savings by implementing a chiller plant operations and district cooling optimization program to determine the most efficient sequence of operations.
- Recruiting more than 200 "Green Champions" to encourage environmentally friendly practices throughout the organization, including best practices from EPA's Bring Your Green to Work initiative.
- Educating employees, patients, and the general public about energy efficiency and NYP's ENERGY STAR partnership through its website, onsite Earth Day events, energy fairs, speaking opportunities, and interviews.