ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
- Accomplishing a 3.6 percent reduction in energy intensity, which is equivalent to powering 224,470 homes for a year.
- Expanding the ArcelorMittal USA energy program to include mining operations throughout the United States.
- Coordinating with other manufacturers, utilities, and EPA to host a meeting in the Northwest Indiana region to introduce manufacturers to EPA's ENERGY STAR industrial energy management resources.
- Carrying out projects targeted at energy efficiency including steam trap and leak management and improving motor utilization through use of variable frequency drives (VFDs) - at one plant, steam savings in 2012 equaled $1.375 million while elsewhere, VFDs were installed to control five motors resulting in electrical savings of $200,000 and reduced maintenance savings of $200,000.
- Completing a boiler project that transfers blast furnace gas (BFG) to a new boiler which cogenerates steam and electricity, nearly eliminating the flaring of BFG, and is expected to save $20 million annually.
- Encouraging employee energy achievements by developing and showcasing energy videos highlighting employees and their successful energy projects on the company's television circuits and intranet.