Whitehouse Station, New Jersey
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
Merck is a global, research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare company with a vision to be "the most energy-efficient company in the pharmaceutical industry and a leader among FORTUNE 500 companies." Merck has a successful energy and sustainability program that continues to reach high levels of performance. Merck is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence recognition for its leadership in energy management and strategic focus on helping others improve to world class status for energy management. Key 2012 accomplishments include:
- Achieving a 6-percent energy intensity reduction for its U.S. operations and 4.3 percent globally compared to 2011. Since 2010, Merck's U.S. operations have improved by 10 percent while, globally, the company reached 6.7 percent.
- Maintaining EPA's ENERGY STAR certification for three manufacturing sites and three office buildings while achieving certification for the first time for two additional buildings to increase the size of Merck's portfolio of ENERGY STAR certified facilities.
- Assisting ENERGY STAR Partner Colgate-Palmolive to develop and pilot test a new manufacturing plant energy assessment process in two of its plants. To date, Merck's own internal "treasure hunt" plant assessment program has identified over $12 million in potential energy savings from just five plants, representing a reduction equivalent to 20 percent of the company's total greenhouse gas emissions reduction goal.
- Coordinating with utilities, other manufacturers, and EPA to host a meeting with Colgate-Palmolive in the New Jersey region to introduce manufacturers to ENERGY STAR industrial energy management resources.
- Registering nine Merck European sites in EPA's ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry.
- Educating children, employees, industries, communities and other stakeholders through strategic communication outreach on energy efficiency and how ENERGY STAR can help them save energy and protect the environment.