Kohls Department Stores, Inc.
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
As a family-focused, value-oriented specialty department store, Kohl's Department Stores, Inc. (Kohl's) operates more than 1,140 stores in 49 states. Kohl's is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued commitment to seeking innovative solutions to improve energy efficiency while demonstrating the value of environmental stewardship to customers and the general public. Key 2012 accomplishments include:
- Actively pursuing ENERGY STAR certification for its stores. In 2012, Kohl's certified 75 stores for a companywide total of 752 stores that have earned the ENERGY STAR.
- Surpassing its goal of achieving a 2-percent improvement in energy efficiency by the end of 2012 by achieving a 2.5-percent reduction on a Btu-per-square-foot basis.
- Focusing on achieving energy savings through operations, including re-commissioning HVAC units at 114 stores, conducting energy audits at 58 stores, and actively monitoring alerts sent by the energy management system to warn of excessive energy use at the store level.
- Displaying the ENERGY STAR on all stores that have earned certification.
- Using social media, internal- and external-facing websites, and innovative educational tactics to engage employees and customers and raise awareness of energy efficiency and Kohl's partnership with ENERGY STAR.
- Surveying top suppliers on their sustainability initiatives and offering training webinars for vendors on how to develop successful sustainability programs within their own companies. In addition, Kohl's pairs vendors with their own sustainability team to collaborate on ways to achieve continuous improvement over time.