CEMEX Davenport Cement Plant
700 Highway 1
Davenport, CA 95017
The cement plant in Davenport, Calif., has been in operation for more than 100 years. When it was first completed, the plant was the second largest cement plant in the nation. It played a vital role in many of the significant historical events of the 20th century, such as providing cement for rebuilding San Francisco after the great earthquake of 1906. In 1915, the plant earned the Pan American Exposition gold medal for it part in the creation of the Panama Canal in 1914. The plant's cement helped in the original construction of the dry docks at Pearl Harbor during World War I and their rebuilding after 1941.
Davenport cement was used to build many of California's most well-known landmarks and infrastructure, including the Golden Gate Bridge, the Bay Area Rapid Transit, San Francisco's Transamerica Pyramid, Candlestick Park, AT&T Park, the Oakland Coliseum and countless other notable structures. A special blend of cement from Davenport was used to construct California's aqueducts in the 1960s, which is the largest water conveyance system in the world.
CEMEX Davenport plant has an annual production capacity of about 900,000 tons of clinker. The plant produces Portland, MCP and Plastic cements. The CEMEX Davenport plant has earned the ENERGY STAR for two consecutive years: 2007 and 2008.
CEMEX has a company-wide Energy Management Program based on the ENERGY STAR guidelines. Under this program, the Davenport plant has a Site Energy Team which helps the plant progressively apply good energy practices promoted by ENERGY STAR.
Energy conservation efforts of plant include:
Variable speed drives and high efficiency motors for cooler fans
Replacement of old motors with energy efficiency motors and utilize VFD's where applicable
Safe lighting illumination practices
Raw mill modification to incorporate high efficiency classifier
Efficient dust collector pulse timer boards with D/P control
Replacement of plant air compressor system with new energy efficiency one
As a result of energy conservation measures, the plant has been able to save16,000 MMBTU of thermal energy and 2,000 kWh of electrical energy consumption.