Ardagh Group - Dunkirk
524 East Center Street
Dunkirk, IN 47336
The Ardagh Group plant in Dunkirk, IN was built in 1889 by Maring-Hart Bottle Company. In 1918, the name changed to Hart Glass Manufacturing Co. In 1938, the facility was purchased by Armstrong Cork Co. Then in 1969, it was purchased by Kerr Glass Manufacturing Co. and again in 1992 by Ball-InCon Glass Packaging. In 1994, the name changed to Ball Glass Container Corporation. In 1995, Ball and Saint-Gobain formed Ball-Foster Glass Container Corp. (including Foster Forbes) as a joint venture. A year later, in 1996, Saint-Gobain purchased Ball’s interest in the joint venture making Ball-Foster a wholly-owned subsidiary of Saint-Gobain. On January 1, 2001, the name was changed to Saint-Gobain Containers, Inc. In 2010, the brand name was changed to Verallia. On April 11, 2014, Ardagh Group purchased Verallia North America, changing the name to Ardagh Glass Inc.
Today, the Dunkirk plant has two furnaces that use 991 tons of raw and recycled materials in its continuous operations, seven days a week, 365 days a year. The Dunkirk facility has approximately 390 hourly-represented and salaried employees that manufacture approximately four million glass containers each day for the beer and food markets.
Ardagh Group’s Dunkirk plant was certified for the first time in 2010.
The energy efficiency at this site was improved through the: