3901 Unick Rd.
Ferndale, WA 98248
Built in 1954 by General Petroleum, the Ferndale Refinery is the oldest operating refinery in the state of Washington. Today, the Ferndale Refinery is owned and operated by Phillips 66 and processes between 100,000 and 105,000 barrels of crude oil per day. The refinery receives its crude oil stocks by tanker, pipeline, and rail. Employing a full-time workforce of more than 400 employees and contractors, the refinery produces unleaded gasoline, ultra-low sulfur diesel, fuel oil, propane, and sulfur. Total production of transportation fuels exceeds one billion gallons per year.
Over the past 10 years, the Ferndale Refinery has reduced its energy intensity by 10 percent, thanks to a combination of capital projects and good energy practices promoted by the ENERGY STAR program. A senior refinery engineer analyzes daily energy reports, and each month reviews energy usage and trends with the refinery’s management team. The refinery also benchmarks its energy usage through a bi-annual industry survey.
Major revisions to the refinery’s heat recovery systems were made in 2007 and again in 2012. These projects added heat exchangers and other equipment, enhancing heat recovery and reducing external energy purchases.