Return to ENERGY STAR.gov
Find More Facilities
ENERGY STAR Labeled Buildings & Plants
Facility Profile ENERGY STAR Logo

ENERGY STAR Plant Profile

Port Allegany
One Glass Place
Port Allegany, PA 16743
Map It!

The Ardagh Group plant in Port Allegany, PA was built by Olean Glass Co. in 1896. In 1913, the facility was purchased by Acme Glass Co., then again in 1915 by Wightman Glass Cooperative, and in 1917 by Pierce Glass. In 1981, Laurens-Pierce Glass was formed, and in 1987 Ball and InCon formed Ball-InCon Glass Packaging as a joint venture, making Ball-InCon wholly-owned by Ball Corp. In 1994, the name changed to Ball Glass Container Corp., and in 1995 Ball and Saint-Gobain formed Ball-Foster Glass Container Corp. (including Foster-Forbes) as a joint venture. In 1996, Saint-Gobain purchased Ball’s interest in the joint venture, making Ball-Foster a wholly-owned subsidiary of Saint-Gobain. On Jan. 1, 2001 the name was changed to Saint-Gobain Containers, Inc. and in 2010 the brand name was changed to Verallia. On April 11, 2014, Ardagh Group purchased Verallia North America, changing the name to Ardagh Glass Inc.

Today, the Port Allegany plant has two furnaces that use 337 tons of raw and recycled materials in its continuous operation, seven days a week, 365 days a year. The Port Allegany facility has approximately 250 hourly-represented and salaried employees that manufacture approximately 1.6 million glass bottles each day for the food and wine markets.


Ardagh Group’s Port Allegany plant was certified for the first time in 2010.

The energy efficiency at this site was improved through the:

Year(s) Labeled:
2010

Facility Type:
Container Glass