ENERGY STAR score for medical office (Canada)
The ENERGY STAR Score for Medical Offices in Canada applies to properties that provide diagnosis and treatment for medical, dental, or psychiatric outpatient care. The objective of the ENERGY STAR score is to provide a fair assessment of the energy performance of a property, relative to its peers, taking into account the climate, weather, and business activities at the property. A statistical analysis of the peer building population is performed to identify the aspects of building activity that are significant drivers of energy use and then to normalize for those factors. The result of this analysis is an equation that predicts the energy use of a property, based on its experienced business activities. The energy use prediction for a building is compared to its actual energy use to yield a 1 to 100 percentile ranking of performance, relative to the national population.
- Property types. The ENERGY STAR score for medical offices in Canada applies to facility space used to provide diagnosis and treatment for medical, dental, or psychiatric outpatient care. The ENERGY STAR score applies to individual buildings only and is not available for campuses.
- Reference data. The analysis for medical offices in Canada is based on data from the Survey on Commercial and Institutional Energy Use (SCIEU), which was commissioned by Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) and carried out by Statistics Canada, and represents the energy consumption year 2009.
- Adjustments for weather and business activity. The analysis includes adjustments for:
- Building size
- Number of workers on the main shift
- Hours of operation per week
- Weather and climate (using heating and cooling degree days, retrieved based on postal code)
- Percent of the building that is cooled
- Release date. This is the first release of the ENERGY STAR score for Medical Offices in Canada.
This document presents details on the development of the 1 – 100 ENERGY STAR score for medical office properties. More information on the overall approach to develop ENERGY STAR scores is covered in our Technical Reference for the ENERGY STAR Score, available at http://www.energystar.gov/ENERGYSTARScore. The subsequent sections of this document offer specific details on the development of the ENERGY STAR score for medical offices.