ENERGY STAR Score for Offices (Canada)
The ENERGY STAR Score for Offices applies to office and financial property types. The objective of the ENERGY STAR score is to provide a fair assessment of the energy performance of a property, relative to its peers, taking into account the climate, weather, and business activities at the property. A statistical analysis of the peer building population is performed to identify the aspects of building activity that are significant drivers of energy use and then to normalize for those factors. The result of this analysis is an equation that predicts the energy use of a property, based on its experienced business activities. The energy use prediction for a building is compared to its actual energy use to yield a 1 to 100 percentile ranking of performance, relative to the national population.
- Property types. The ENERGY STAR score for offices applies to two property types: office and financial office. The score applies to individual buildings only and is not available for campuses.
- Reference data. The analysis for offices in Canada is based on data from the Survey of Commercial and Institutional Energy Use (SCIEU), which was commissioned by Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) and carried out by Statistics Canada, and represents the energy consumption year 2014.
- Adjustments for weather and business activity. The analysis includes adjustments for:
- Building size
- Number of workers on main shift
- Hours of operation per week
- Weather and climate (using heating and cooling degree days, retrieved based on postal code)
- Percent of the building that is heated and cooled
- Release date. This is the second release of the ENERGY STAR score for Offices in Canada. The ENERGY STAR score for offices is updated periodically as more recent data becomes available:
- Most Recent Update: February 2018
- Original Release: July 2013
This document presents details on the development of the 1 – 100 ENERGY STAR score for office properties. More information on the overall approach to develop ENERGY STAR scores is covered in our Technical Reference for the ENERGY STAR Score, available at http://www.energystar.gov/ENERGYSTARScore. The subsequent sections of this document offer specific details on the development of the ENERGY STAR score for offices.