ENERGY STAR Tenant Space is a new EPA recognition for sustainability efforts in your leased office space. Energy efficient office spaces can lead to lower utility bills and fewer greenhouse gas emissions in our atmosphere. Does your organization lease office space within a multi-tenant building? Earn recognition for your sustainability efforts! Check out the information and resources below to learn how.
EPA is grateful for the help of its ENERGY STAR Charter Tenants, who provided valuable feedback during the pilot phase of EPA’s tenant recognition program. See the list of Charter Tenants.
Your Tenant Space must:
- Be either a general administrative office, financial office, or a non-diagnostic medical office (such as a doctor’s office that does not include diagnostic equipment). It may include a data center.
- Represent all your usable office square footage in the building. Your Usable square footage is defined as all areas within the demising walls reserved for your exclusive use.
- Be located in the United States.
Have an eligible Tenant Space? Great! Here are the steps to earning ENERGY STAR Tenant Space recognition:
- Estimate energy use: Understanding your energy use helps identify actions you can take to make the biggest impact.
- Meter: You can’t manage what you don’t measure! Tenants must meter the energy they are responsible for in the building.
- Light efficiently: Lighting is a major user and one of the most cost-effective upgrades. Tenants will need to meet a lighting energy use target to qualify for recognition.
- Use efficient equipment: Upgrading equipment reduces the large energy draw from plug loads. Tenants will need to provide an energy efficient equipment procurement policy.
- Share data with the landlord (if requested): Your data may enable whole building benchmarking, which supports strategic investment in energy performance and is often needed for compliance with local laws and mandates.
- How to enter and manage tenant spaces in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager
- How to apply for ENERGY STAR Tenant Space recognition (13-page guide)
- How to apply for ENERGY STAR Tenant Space recognition (42-slide presentation)
- Licensed Professionals' Guide to ENERGY STAR Tenant Space recognition
- ENERGY STAR Brand Guidelines: ENERGY STAR Tenant Space
Register for a webinar to learn more
- Introducing ENERGY STAR Tenant Space Recognition (Listen to the recording)
- How to Apply for ENERGY STAR Tenant Space Recognition (October 15, 3:00 p.m. ET)
- Verifying the Application for ENERGY STAR Tenant Space Recognition (October 20, 3:00 p.m. ET)
If you have any questions, please see our FAQ’s or reach out to our help desk.