Purchasing efficient products reduces energy costs without compromising quality for corporations, institutions, and governments. Take the steps outlined below to learn more about ENERGY STAR certified products and specify them in your purchasing policies and contracts.
Step 1: Modify your Procurement Language
Specify ENERGY STAR products quickly and easily. All products that earn the ENERGY STAR are certified by independent organizations to ensure that they deliver the energy savings promised by the label. The following single clause in a contract is all that is needed:
The vendor must provide products that earn the ENERGY STAR and meet the ENERGY STAR specifications for energy efficiency. The vendor is encouraged to visit energystar.gov for complete product specifications and updated lists of qualifying products.
Note: Federal agencies should use the FAR clause 52.223-15 Energy Efficiency in Energy-Consuming Products in all applicable contracts and solicitations.
Or download the ENERGY STAR Tenant Space: Sample Procurement Policy, which may be referenced as a starting point if you don’t have a current policy.
Step 2: Educate your Vendors and Personnel
Institutions have a wide range of purchasing options. Therefore, organizations should educate purchasing agents, upper management, and key stakeholders about their ENERGY STAR purchasing requirements, savings benefits, and available mechanisms for making these purchases. Use this template to help your organization reach out to these stakeholders.
Step 3: Choose ENERGY STAR Products to Purchase
- Commercial Coffee Brewers
- Commercial Dishwashers
- Commercial Fryers
- Commercial Griddles
- Commercial Hot Food Holding Cabinets
- Commercial Ice Machines
- Commercial Ovens
- Commercial Refrigerators and Freezers
- Commercial Steam Cookers
HVAC and Water Heating
- Commercial Boilers
- Commercial Water Heaters
- Light Commercial HVAC
- Smart Thermostats
- Ventilating Fans
Federal agencies should view DOE FEMP purchasing specifications.
Step 4: Estimate your Potential Savings
Use these Excel-based calculators to estimate how much money and energy you can save purchasing ENERGY STAR certified products.
- Light Bulb Calculator (EXCEL, 1.5 MB)
Commercial Food Service Equipment
- CFS Equipment Calculator (EXCEL, 359 KB) for commercial dishwashers, freezers, refrigerators, fryers, griddles, hot food holding cabinets, ice machines, ovens, and steam cookers.
- Pool Pump Calculator (EXCEL, 464 KB)
- Contact us, and we can:
- Help you estimate the savings potential of an ENERGY STAR purchasing program or the realized savings of an existing program.
- Review your purchasing policy and help you draft language that specifies ENERGY STAR purchasing.
- Assist in the development of communications that explain the benefits of a change in purchasing policy to upper management, purchasing agents, and employees.