Are you or your organization involved in designing and constructing a new building this year? Then this challenge is for you! It’s critical to start at design and get it right – now and into the future. When you join the ENERGY STAR Decarbonize Your Design Challenge, you help make the next generation of buildings carbon neutral by adopting and implementing energy-efficient decarbonization strategies during design.
Compete to Win Best Project and Honorable Awards for Your Design
Through the challenge, EPA will honor organizations who submit commercial new construction/major renovation projects that achieve Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR recognition. Architect of Record (AOR) firms will be entered to win best project and honorable awards, which will be judged on how successful the firm was in integrating renewable energy, energy equity, electrification, and decarbonization techniques into the overall design concept. Plus, there will be an opportunity for peer voting for additional awards.
Recognition for Challenge Promoters
And we need a little help in spreading the word! EPA also will recognize organizations that promote the Challenge to their members and affiliates by featuring the Decarbonize Your Design Challenge on their website and social media. In turn, the supporters will be featured on our website.
Project qualifying dates
January 1, 2020 – December 15, 2021
Click the tabs above for details
- “Join” for eligibility requirements to submit projects and how to promote the Challenge
- “Toolkit” for communication and promotional collateral
- “Through the Years” for background and success stories from past ENERGY STAR Design Challenges
Learn more about ENERGY STAR for commercial new construction. For nearly 30 years, EPA’s ENERGY STAR program has been helping businesses and the public prevent CO2 emissions through energy-efficient products, homes, commercial buildings, and industrial plants.
Benefits of Joining the Challenge
Participants will enjoy the following benefits:
- Event celebrating award winners and supporting organizations
- Peer voting for best project!
- Design projects and organizations showcased within the Challenge Gallery [coming soon]
- Featured in knowledge sharing webinars and peer networking events
- Leveraging the ENERGY STAR brand trusted by more than 90% of Americans for energy efficiency